Sunday, August 30, 2015

Health: Eggplant Juice to Lower Cholesterol



Here's another natural treatment I recently learned: eggplant juice to lower cholesterol. This information came from my Kaiser Permanente Doctor who grumbled about a medical guideline about statins. It would, she said, put all men 55 and above on statins, and women 65 and above on statins.



It's very simple: cut up 1/2 an eggplant (also known as aubergine) and put in a half gallon jug of water. Let it sit overnight, then drink 2-3 eight ounce glasses a day. Here's what my jug of eggplant juice looks like.


Eggplant has high fiber and is rich in vitamins, and contains flavonoids -- all of which are beneficial. It is good for cardiovascular health, decreases cholesterol as well as weight levels, has anti-cancer effects, and improves cognitive function. The benefits of eggplant are extensive in fact and I invite my readers to look into it.

You can eat eggplant, which I like. In the Philippines, we grill it and make it into a salad or cook it with egg batter -- delicious!

You can also add a bit of eggplant into a smoothie, which I recently did, and someone in my household who dislikes eggplant wasn't even aware it was in the drink!

But as my doctor suggested, I have eggplant juice and I've been drinking it. My doctor suggested adding lemon to make it taste better, but I like the taste as is. It has a refreshing quality which reminds me of coconut water.

The next time you're in the market, pick up some eggplant to cook or to make juice.

Read also

The Sugarcane Plantations of the Philippines and Muscovado
The Wonders of Malunggay or Moringa Oleifera
Health, Stroke, Hypertension, Heart Disease
Cecilia's Good Morning Smoothie Recipe
A Bad Cold and What I'm Doing About It
The Healing and Creative Powers of Cat Purring
How to Lower Blood Pressure: Drink Hibiscus or Gumamela Tea

Tags: health, natural treatment, medicine, alternative medicine, #health, 

No comments: