Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Super Typhoons Pam in Vanuatu and Haiyan in the Philippines



News of Cyclone Pam devastating the small Pacific island of Vanuatu reminds me of the horrific Super Typhoon Haiyan or Yolanda that hit Central Philippines in 2013. The two super typhoons are  similar in their intensity, with Haiyan's Pressure at 896 millibars, and Pam at 899 millibars. Wind speed of Pam was 165 mph; Haiyan had 190 mph.

This site compares the two devastating typhoons.



There are still many small islands in Vanuatu that are unaccounted for. I'm hoping they did not have a surge as the island of Leyte in Central Philippines did. The surge was responsible for the majority of the 6,300 deaths in the Philippines (in fact, the death count is more than that as there were thousands missing.)

I feel for the people in Vanuatu. Their homes, roads, and infrastructure are ruined. It will take them years to recover. Central Philippines has not recovered from Haiyan.

Right now Vanuatu needs: drinking water, food, medicines, shelter.

I hope the people there get the aid they need right away.

CNN says these organizations are poised to help Vanuatu:



AmeriCares
ADRA
Australian Red Cross
CARE International
International Medical Corps
International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies
Oxfam Australia

Samaritan's Purse

Save the Children Australia
Save the Children USA
UNICEF New Zealand 
UNICEF Australia 
UNICEF International
World Vision

From Lamentations, I quote:

Behold, O Lord; for I am in distress: my bowels are troubled; mine heart is turned within me; for I have grievously rebelled: abroad the sword bereaveth, at home there is as death.


They have heard that I sigh: there is none to comfort me: all mine enemies have heard of my trouble; they are glad that thou hast done it: thou wilt bring the day that thou hast called, and they shall be like unto me.

Let all their wickedness come before thee; and do unto them, as thou hast done unto me for all my transgressions: for my sighs are many, and my heart is faint.
Read also

Childhood in the Path of Typhoons
Typhoon Haiyan: Jews in the Philippines 1940-2013
Photos courtesy of Cecilia Brainard and Wikipedia

Tags: #supertyphoon, #Haiyan, #Pam, typhoon, Pacific, cyclone, storm
This is all for now,
Cecilia

No comments: