Monday, February 9, 2015

Solving a Mystery Regarding the Cuenco Family of Cebu



This picture of my mother's family, the Cuenco Family, includes a girl with a bow in her hair, seated far left. I was told she was Maria, one of my mother's siblings who died shen she was young. I had also heard of a child named Corazon who died young. I was never sure if they were one and the same person.



I visited my maternal aunt, Teresita Cuenco Gonzalez, and was able to get clarification. There were two girls, Maria and Corazon, siblings of my mother, who died young.

My aunt gave me the names of all her siblings as follows;  Manuel, Lourdes, Concepcion, Maria, Carmen, Consuelo, Corazon, and Teresita. However I think this order is incorrect. (My aunt was the youngest and never met Maria nor Corazon.)

The picture above shows that Maria is one of the older children, clearly older than my mother who's the child holding a doll and leaning against the older lady (Juana Lopez, my great-great-grandmother).

In the picture, Maria is the girl with a bow in her hair on the far left, seated. Lourdes is the girl in the center, seated. Manual is the boy standing beside Lourdes; and my mother, Concepcion is the little girl holding a doll, near Maria.

The chronological order of the Cuenco siblings was probably: Manuel, Lourdes, Maria, Concepcion, Carmen, Consuelo, Corazon, and Teresita.

This small family mystery has been solved for me. I found out some other interesting information about how Remedios Cuenco, my great-grandmother (the woman seated on the far right), passed away, but I'll save that story for another time.

Read also

Tags: Cuenco, Cebu, politics, Philippines, Sugbo, Cebuano, Visayan, Mariano Cuenco, Remedios Cuenco, Juana Lopez
This is all for now,




No comments: