Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Cooking with Cecilia: Filipino Barbecue Pork



We've had a heat wave in Southern California, which is perfect weather for barbecuing. My family loves barbecue pork, so I fixed this over the weekend. Here's a recipe. To be honest with you I don't measure ingredients and just add stuff into a huge bowl. For my family of 12, I cooked 10 lbs of pork butt; my men gobbled up most of it.



Ingredients:
1 lb pork (butt or belly, cut into chunks or slices; slices cook faster)
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup banana ketchup
6 to 8 cloves, garlic, minced or macerated
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
dash of chili seeds
bay leaf
bamboo sticks
additional banana ketchup for basting

Procedure:
Combine vinegar, soy sauce, banana catsup, garlic, brown sugar, lemon juice, salt and pepper, chili, bay leaf, in a large bowl, and stir. This is your marinade for your pork slices.  I marinate the pork overnight in the refrigerator, turning it over on occasions so the meat soaks up the marinade.

Before barbecuing I soak the bamboo sticks in water for an hour; this prevents the sticks from burning on the grill.

Skewer the pork in bamboo sticks; don't pack the meat tightly together, but allow it to "breathe" so the meat cooks;

Make your basting sauce from banana ketchup and the marinade. You can add a bit of cooking oil to make your pork glisten and look absolutely yummy - this is a trick I learned from a professional cook.

Preheat grill over medium heat.

Grill the pork and baste as you do so.

If you are preparing a lot, you can pre-cook the skewered pork in the oven and finish off over the grill. This allows for quicker cooking time.

I like to serve barbecue pork with rice, pancit, and salad. Some people like to eat the pork with vinegar. For dessert, serve leche flan - check out my special recipe.

Enjoy!










Read also:
Cooking with Cecilia- Pancit Bihon Guisado, Filipino rice noodle dish 
Cooking with Cecilia Brainard - Quiche
Cooking with Cecilia Brainard - Linguine with Clams
Cooking Lengua Estofada 
Food Essay - Fried Chicken Caribbean-style
How I Learned to Make Leche Flan (or How I Met my Husband)
Cooking with Cecilia - Leche Flan (Vietnamese Style) 
Recipe of Balbacua Cebuana from Louie Nacorda 
Easy Filipino Recipes from Maryknollers
Cooking with Cecilia - Beef Bourguignon 
Cooking with Cecilia - Chicken Soup for my Bad Cold 
Cooking with Cecilia - Short Bread Cookies and Friar Tuck in my Kitchen!

tags: recipe, cooking, pork, barbecue, Filipino, food, meat, eating

This is all for now,
Cecilia




No comments: